This is a Basic Rental Agreement or Rental Lease that applies to private dwellings leased for residential use and can be used either for a lease of any length or a month-to-month tenancy agreement. The rental lease or rental lease agreement must be completed and signed by all residents and the landlord or agent. It can be enforced according to the laws of the state of residence.
Steps to Fill the Basic Rental Agreement or Residential Lease
- Enter the landlord’s or agent’s name, the tenant’s name(s), and the address of the premises.
- Enter the monthly rent amount, the date on which the rent will be due each month, and the lease or rental term.
- Enter the name and address where rent will be paid and the amount received for the first month’s rent, security deposit, and fees.
- Indicate when the security deposit will be repaid and/or when deductions will be made.
- Indicate when a late charge will be assessed and how much it will be.
- Indicate if landlord will be paying any utilities (utilities are the tenant’s responsibility otherwise).
- List any occupants who are not on the lease and any pets.
- Pets will not be allowed without permission. If permission is granted, indicate any pet deposits and pet rent due. Insurance will be required.
- Liquid-filled furnishings and items are not permitted without permission. Insurance will be required.
- If parking is permitted, it will only be for authorized passenger vehicles. If a parking space is included, indicate area or space and any parking fees.
- Resident agrees not to be overly noisy or destructive. Resident agrees that the premises are in good condition and agrees to keep them that way, including sanitation and maintenance. Resident agrees to comply with any house rules.
- Resident agrees that terms may be changed with thirty days’ notice. Resident and landlord agree that lease or agreement will convert to month-to-month tenancy and thirty days’ notice is required to terminate. Resident and landlord agree that lease or agreement may be vacated if premises are not available.
- Resident agrees to carry insurance. Resident agrees that landlord has the right to enter premises with adequate notice or in an emergency. Resident agrees not to sublet or assign lease.
- Resident and landlord agree to preserve their rights under law and that acceptance of rent or waiver of a breach does not waive subsequent breaches. If necessary, the prevailing party will recover attorneys’ fees.
- Resident(s) agree that they are jointly and severally liable and that any default may be reported to the appropriate agencies.
- Resident acknowledges lead disclosures.
- Indicate any additions or exceptions to the standard lease.
- Resident agrees to accept notices at the premises. Indicate where landlord will accept notices.
- Indicate any items to be inventoried, keys, agreements, and addendums.
- Resident and landlord agree that the lease is complete and that they have received copies.
All residents and the landlord or agent must sign and date this lease or agreement, which can be enforced by the courts of the state of residence.